I will not get into a lengthy and heartfelt story on how we met - but after having Leanne and Brad Shaffer creatively involved in a few of Shay’s shoots (by fluke) - we have all remained very close friends and the rest is history. Having witnessed them evolve in the creative sphere and being constantly inspired by the two of them, we are thrilled to have them on the West Coast for more than a weekend as they are new Venice Beach residents!
Brad and Leanne own and operate Acre Goods + Services: A Creative Group. They are a collaboration of creation; As a team they design, direct, style, build, concept & create - and they want to make something together!!!!!!
Brad and Leanne have been featured in numerous publications for their recently completed home they share together. They married, purchased a 1907 Pennsylvania schoolhouse, and embarked on a joint DIY reno. Now, the labor of love is complete and we are thrilled to feature this amazing design and décor triumph on the blog.
Checkout the before and after pictures along with a preview of Leanne’s inspiration below:
INSIDE LEANNE’S MIND:
What inspires you?
What inspires me? Life! Living! Love. People, places, music, highways, old movies, old trucks, rust and gold, the woods, the beach, my crazy family and my wild friends.
Where do you find all your eclectic pieces?
I find my special stuff on the road, when I’m not expecting to find it and when it’s usually most inconvenient. I find stuff in Ohio when my truck is full, I find furniture for LA projects in barns in Pennsylvania and furniture for Pennsylvania projects on abbot Kinney. It’s my curse. But I always buy it. I know I’ll figure it out and I know it belongs in a good home.
What are your top three decorating tips?
- Don’t be afraid to mess up! So what- if it doesn’t work- repaint it, return it, sell it on craigslist, push your limits and what you are used to seeing. That’s when the good stuff happens.
- If you love it, get it, your home should be a million things you love- that everything you see makes you smile. If you love it, it will work in your space.
- Don’t stick to one style- that’s when a house loses it’s feeling of home. Aim more for the look of a magazine spread than a catalog.
What do you love about LA?
My friends. My job. The creative energy. All in the sunshine…. Pretty perfect.
Describe your style in three words:
Free times three.
You can checkout Acre Goods + Services through their:
Post by Michaela
Photo Credit: Max Kim-Bee
I know how exciting it is to get your first place (or dorm room) - and to decorate! I also know how it is to be on a budget - and in school! I asked a girlfriend of mine from Vancouver, Natalie who owns and operates Cutler Design with her husband, to supply us with some current decor trends for the savvy gal (or guy).
Her fave look this season is the Black, white and simple wood look - also what we like to call ‘Scandinavian’. Decorating doesn’t have to be expensive - there are so many ways to create a killer, comfortable space while staying on a budget and keeping it chic and on trend.
Here are some of mine and Natalie’s affordable tips for sprucing up your new pad or dorm room:
- Pin it! Use gold thumb tacks and post black & white magazine images & quotes in a graphic black & white check pattern. Easy and removable
- Show off your clothes. Because they are awesome! Style it like your fave boutique. Hats, shoes, jackets & dresses on a rolling rack. Who said there isn’t enough closet space?
- Lighten up! Every dorm needs a stylish bedside lamp. Add some color! Get creative with your bedside table. Feeling crafty? Try a DIY like this tin barrel.
- Warm it up! Throw a sheep skin rug on your desk chair for instant style and comfort (faux sheepskin that is).
- Throw some Pillows! Throw pillows add a dash of depth and make the space cozy and fun - try making your own!
- Stack it up! Take some of your fave books and stack them on a stool to create a surface to rest your tea while reading or to display some flowers.
- Get fresh! Adding fresh flowers is cheap and will add a bright and fresh feeling to any room - purchase an affordable peace lily or orchid that will last three times as long as cut flowers.
All of these ideas can be done DIY and in a pinch. Check out local flea markets for frames, stools, lamps and tables. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure! Keep it simple too - some of the best spaces are simple and uncluttered, keeping a zen like relaxing atmosphere for studying or just decompressing after a long day. Below are some of our TOP “easy on the wallet” items that can be bought at IKEA anywhere in the world:
- BEDDINGE LÖVÅS - Sofa bed, Ransta dark gray $229.00 (Similar to item above)
- MANDAL - 4-drawer chest, birch, white $229.00
- BJÖRNLOKA RUTA - Duvet cover & pillowcases $29.99
- ÅKERKULLA - Cushion cover, gray/white $6.00
- SANELA - Cushion cover, light turquoise $7.00
- LAPPLJUNG RUTA - Cushion cover, white/black $10.00
- FEJKA - Artificial potted plant, Orchid $7.99
- TEJN - Faux sheepskin, white $9.99
- SNILLE - Swivel chair, black $19.99
- MICKE - Desk, white $89.99 (Similar to item above)
- EIVOR - Throw, black/white $19.99
- ARÖD - Work lamp, gray $39.99
Post by Michaela & Natalie
Checkout Natalie’s Website here
In Los Angeles we are blessed with pretty nice weather all year round, but nothing beats warm summer nights and a backyard soiree. In lieu of our newly purchased outdoor patio furniture, Shay and I have been heavily inspired to throw backyard dinner parties every chance we get (even when we didn’t have patio furniture…see our mexican fiesta at the bottom of this post)!
While I may be the chef of the household, Shay is the table decorator extrordinaire. Putting together fun themes for your dinner and coordinating them with the menu is a task we have mastered. Take advantage of what summer has to offer and entertain outdoors in the fresh air at the beach or in your backyard.
Below are some of our personal favorite outdoor dining looks that will sure to inspire a magical evening for you and your friends:
Before where had a seat to sit in - we used our imaginations and threw a perfect mexican inspired backyard soiree that is one of our best parties to date. Stay tuned for more of our themed dinner’s soon :)
Post by Michaela & Shay
(Pictures from Pinterest)