I recently created a rainbow striped nail look and got tons of requests to do a tutorial about it! I know it is still winter in most places but it is starting to feel like Spring in Los Angeles! Here we will show you how to recreate the look using softer Spring time colors. These precise and uniform stripes will make you look like a pro even if you don’t naturally have a steady hand. You can also make this mani with ANY colors you already have at home as it is extremely versatile.
- Black/Grey Holographic Polish (NCLA “From LA To Anywhere”)
- White Polish (Jenna Hipp “By Invitation Only”)
- Light Purple Polish (Hail Nails “Twerkle”)
- Baby Blue Polish (Hail Nails “Candy Rain”)
- Electric Mint Green Polish (Hail Nails “Electro Kush”)
- Striping Tape
- Top Coat (Seche Vite)
- On a clean and dry manicure paint your nails with two coats of NCLA “From LA to Anywhere” - Allow to fully dry.
- Once your nails have dried, lay down three pieces of striping tape vertically down your nails. Your first strip will go down the exact center splitting your nails in half. Your second and third strip will then go down the middle of each of those sections. Your nails should be split into 4 equal sections. Cut your striping tape with nippers for better precision. Also, be sure to leave striping tape hanging off your nails because you will be lifting up the tape in later steps.
- Take your white polish and clean off the brush into the bottle so that there is very little polish on the stem of the wand. Minimizing the amount of product on your brush will help give you more control and better ensure that you won’t get nail polish everywhere. Paint one of the sections nearest to the side wall with your white polish. Paint the next section with your light purple, then repeat with your baby blue and green polishes. Be sure to clean your brush of product with every color to make sure you only paint each color in its desired section and not running it into the other colors. Allow to dry for a few minutes.
- After you have let the colors dry, take the nippers and peel up each of the pieces of striping tape one at a time. It is important that you have let the colors dry for a few minutes because if the polish is still wet- you will pull up the polish and smudge it.
- Once you have pulled up all the tape you will have perfectly placed rainbow stripes with holographic shimmer in between! Lastly top of your look with a coat of Seche Vite. I love this top coat because it won’t drag any of your nail polish like others do, leaving your nails extra shiny and ready to go!
Insta+Twitter: @StephStoneNails shopncla
Post by Steph Stone
Our take on the 2014 Golden Globes fashion: from bows to baby bumps we have a winner for each!
Emilia Clarke from ‘Game of Thrones’ in a Proenza Schouler guipure lace gown.
Margot Robbie from ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ wearing Gucci white, embellished gown - flawless.
Kelly Osbourne in Escada - the purple hair makes it…super chic and never seen her look better!
Best Baby Bump:
Olivia Wilde in Gucci - and the perfect accessory, her baby bump!
Naomi Watts in Tom Ford - she claimed it was her husband’s night but honey, you stole the show!
Jessica Chastain in Givenchy - the shape & embroidery, her hair…it just works!
Cate Blanchett…duh…in Armani Prive.
Maria Menounos in Max Azria - the color and cutouts are just right!
Matthew McConaughey and Camilla Alves both wearing Dolce & Gabbana - they look exquisite…especially that green velvet suit jacket!
Anna Gunn in Donna Karen Atelier - this bow in the back and eggshell color is the right amount of feminine!
Best Worst Dressed:
Paula Patton in Stephane Rolland - I can see where she was going with this, but unfortunately her dress looked like it was about to attack someone…we still love you Paula!
Best Ageless Beauty:
Diane Keaton - if you look up ‘ageless beauty’ in a dictionary her picture will be there. She looked bomb and rocked salt and pepper better than the hip hop duo.
Best Dressed Overall:
Lupita Nyong’o from ‘12 Years a Slave’ in Ralph Lauren - she looks absolutely impeccable my TOP PICK 100%!
What was your favorite look at the Golden Globes…tweet us at let us know!
Post by Michaela
Take a look at Shay’s feature in AdWeek’s segment, 'Information Diet'. She chat’s about our Blog, what her new must have App is and more! (Full interview below):
What’s the first information you consume in the morning?
I always check Twitter first—it’s great because you don’t have to read a whole article to get the gist of something—and then I have to check my messages and write back to my mom to say good morning.
You have your own lifestyle blog, ShayMitchell.com. How did that get started?
It started with me and my best friend Michaela, and it’s really about our lives. Everybody’s always asking me, “What do you like to do in your off time?” I love cooking, I love DIY projects and home décor, so the blog became about sharing these things with fans and friends.
Do you and Michaela still write everything yourselves?
Unless it’s a contributor—like sometimes my stylist writes for the blog—it’s pretty much just me and Michaela, and I want to keep it that way. People will ask why we don’t get professional photographers to take our recipe or fashion photos, but I like the fact that it’s really organic. I think that’s more interesting.
What are your favorite lifestyle blogs?
I have so many! Elements of Style is one, Elle Décor, and Domaine. I think Kelly Wearstler’s blog is really great. And I love European fashion blogs. It feels like they’re always one step ahead.
Pretty Little Liars is a huge hit on social media, and you even have your own live-tweet hashtag, #PLLayWithShay. Why did you start live- tweeting the show?
It was something that I wanted to do to interact with fans and get their opinions of the episodes and storylines. I can imagine back in the day when I was watching The O.C., if I had been able to live- tweet with Mischa Barton or any of the other actors, I would have been so excited!
What else do you watch?
Homeland, Shameless, Modern Family, and I watch a lot more stuff on Netflix now. Orange Is the New Black is one of my favorite new shows, and I can’t wait for Season 2.
Tell us about your favorite app.
My new favorite app is called Next Issue, and it’s consuming my life. Before, Instagram and blogs consumed me, but having over 100 magazines at my fingertips is absolutely amazing. I’m trying this new thing in my life called de-cluttering, so I’ve been trying not to buy any more magazines, and being able to access them on my iPad instead is so much better.
What magazines have you been reading?
House & Home, Elle Décor—I’m big into home magazines. And I love international magazines, so having access to Vogue Italia and Paris Vogue is so much fun.
How do you wind down before bed?
This magazine app is kind of ruining my life! Before, I would read books, and now I’m glancing through magazines. But one of my resolutions for the new year is to read a book a month!
– Emma Bazilian